Restoring old drop leaf table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am after some advice / ideas for the following project. The wife got an old oak drop leaf table and 4 chairs today from a oxfam type shop. We have it delivered on Thursday but i saw it today and to tell you the truth i did not like it that much but the boss loves it and wants it for a dinning table.

She is going to put new covers on the seats and wants me to clean up the table chairs etc. I am a joiner but have no ideas about finishes etc as where i used to work we had a french polishers shop who did all the work so have no experience at all.

Like i said the table/chairs are oak and it looks like there is a darkish stain on it which is worn in places and quite thick in others. I thought about sanding it down a little but im worried that it will be really light in places and not in others, i don't fancy completely stripping it.

Can you experts give any advice on how i can make it look ok without stripping it and do you think i could restain it and then add a finish. Any advice would be great please post your thoughts and the exact name of any products you recommend and techniques

Many thanks
Coggy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back