cutting wall tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bit of tiling advice if you don't mind.

the last (and only other time) i ever tiled I used a mechancial scoring type cutter, and some nibbling pliers. this time however I want to make a better job - is it worth investing in a electric saw type cutter?

can you fit a diamond disc to an angle grinder?

I'm going to need to make quite a few holes (to hang radiator, pipes up through boxing to rad, toilet, basin fixings etc . . .whats my best bet for making these holes? (up to 15 mm)

cheers

Sponsored Links
You can get a wet cutter for around £40. Although B&Q do one on a stand with the cutter on a slide runway for £99. Pretty good for DIY. The manual slide cutters are good for straight cuts and quicker. For drilling perfect holes you can get a set of core bits for around £120+. These tools will save a lot of time and finish the job off nicely.

Having just been thru this, I might help with my experiences:

Easiest way to make irregular cuts on tiles is with a tile cutting disc on your angle grinder.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=A338057&ts=18569

Easiest way to make small holes in tiles (for screws eg radiator bracket screws) is to chip the enamel surface with a masonry nail then drill thru with a tile drill bit (6mm)

Easiest way to make big holes in tiles (for pipework etc) is to use a diamond coated core drill on your (cordless) drill, done outside with a gentle flow of water across the tile. Don't bother with masking tape, use your finger and thumb to steady the core drill and be patient! (the water will keep your hand from burning!) Put the tile on an old towel to dampen your pressure, and don't do it when its -2 degrees and nighttime like I did!

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=A237690&ts=18623

The core drills can be bought dead cheap at B&Q,HB and Wickes.

I botched tiles with the nibblers so don't touch it anymore, but used the scoring jig for all the standard cuts.

Not sure if you were going to remove the toilet and basin pedestal or tile around them. Best to remove them and tile under if possible.

Sponsored Links
dit - thanks very much for your advice - just what I needed to know, I'm trooping off to machine mart after work as they seem to have everything I need.

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back