shower tray not level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just purchased a right hand 1000 by 800 quad shower tray which Im installing myself. I have been unable to get it completely level on all sides. I can get both straight sides level but there is a fall into the middle of the curved side. If I stretch a string from corner to corner then another from the other corner to the centre of the curved side the strings do not touch where they cross, there is a 3mm gap between them. Extending this to the curved side there would be approx 5mm fall from each corner to the middle of the curved side. Apparently the retailer told me that the manufacturer says that this is within acceptable tolerances. The question I have is how am I going to fit the sliding door enclosure on top of this non-level surface. Packing it with 5mm of silicone does not sound right to me. Should the curved side be level to within tolerances which are a lot smaller than 5mm.

Cheers David

Sponsored Links
Try a different (decent) spirit level,just in case yours is slightly out.
If you really have to fit it i would probably do the other sides 1 mm out of level.
This will not show on the tiling over that span.
Just make sure the actual part you stand in is still falling towards the waste outlet.
The most important bit to be level is where the door sits.

Timmyturtle said:
The most important bit to be level is where the door sits.

I take your point about a better spirit level, I could do with a longer one but my existing spirit level indicates a fall from both corners into the middle of the curved side, the lowest part being about where the waste outlet is. So no matter how much I compensate by laying the other sides slightly out I will never be able to get the curved side level over its entire length. [/img]

Sponsored Links
I see....the tray at the curved part is level where the curve starts ie corner to corner but drops towards the centre of the curve from both ends
Other than a new tray.its silicone and possibly a small spacer or two hidden under the lower rail
cant see any way round it otherwise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back