fitting new radiator in bathroom - match up length ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of replacing the radiator in the bathroom with a towel radiator.
Is it best to find one where the length between the inlet and outlet of the radiator match the width of the floor pipes ?
If not, what's the best way of making them fit?

To do this, do I need to drain the entire central heating system or once I have shut off the floor pipes, only drain the radiator ?

Sponsored Links
to remove the rad you just have to close off the valves and drain the rad, but if your replaceing the valves you will have to drain down.

best thing for the pipe is to adjust the pipes under the floor boards to come straight upto the towel rad, or bend the pipes above floor level, but the latter looks neater. both will require a drain down.

WHat about adding some extenders to the pipes?

It may be that the towel radiator fits the existing pipes anyway?

rad extensions are ok on rads and need to fir into rad body. In your case with a towel rail this would just extend them downwards :rolleyes:

The only really neat way to do it is from under the floor as wonderb0y says ;)

Sponsored Links
Sorry, not got you here :oops:
I guess you mean it will only extend the radiator downwards.
How come you can't use an extender to lengthen the width between the pipes on the floor for a towel radiator ?

Because the Holes for the valves on the towel rad are on the bottom, where as on a normal rad they are on the side, have a look at a picture of a towel rad

Yeah, now I understand.
But don't people make extendors for radiators with valves on the bottom?
I would shift the radiator upwards a bit but that's no biggy...

Well, maybe that on one side but on the other it would have to be some sort of extender that went up, then diagonally across and up, then up again to attach to the valve. Essentially, extending one of the floor pipes out to the side.
Don't they make these? A bit like an elbow join but not...
Sure I could solder some pipe together and do the same thing but that takes soldering experience and I was hoping just to use some compression jonts...

:confused:

youve lost me with the diagnol bit, you could post a pic to be a bit more descriptive.

rad.JPG

:LOL:

I know there are flexible hoses but thought there might be something similar that was solid ?

Then it would look as ugly as your picture!

If you wanted to replace a window would you buy one which was too small then tack bits of wood round it?

I get the point but moving a pipe just a few mm's to fit is a big job isn't it?
Anyway, hopefully the radiator will fit.

it you didn't want to move the pipe under the boards (which would be by far the easiest) then you could centre the rad inbetween both the pipes and make 2 equal bends so that both sides match, instead of it looking "ugly" as chris said

The width between the pipes is 560mm.
Any towel radiators sold in this width?
Most seem to be 500 or 600 ?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back