ceramic floor on wooden floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are considering putting ceramic tiles in our conservatory, which gets very hot in the summer and which currently has wooden floorboards. It has a small strip of concrete at the two doorways. Using a flexible adhesive, is it ok to put them directly down onto the floorboards? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the tiling sticky post near the top of the floor tiling forum - the info you need is there. Dammit, I did that sticky to stop these types of questions! grrrrrrrr :p

Thanks very much, didn't see sticky first time around. Sorry I ****ed you off gcol, I just joined this very useful site. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hi gcol,

Just a not to thank you for taking the time and effort that you put into your (Sticky). The information that you have given is absolutely superb and i'd just like to let you know that there is someone out here who really appreciates the professional expertise that you have passed on . I for one took the time to look for advice before doing the job.
Basically I was looking for info. on what ply to use before laying my large floor tiles onto my wooden bathroom floor. I am going to use 18mm ply but thought that I would use the cheaper ordinary grade ply but applying a pva adhesive on all surfaces. Do you think that this will suffice or would I be better to bight the bullet and get the dearer WBP ply?
Once again thanks for all the usefull info.
supershed

gcol is no longer a contributor & hasn't been for some time :cry: or so he says ;) but his sticky lives on :LOL:

Always use WBP not ordinary ply & never use PVA on a tile base. Use a quality trade flexible cement powder adhesive & grout not cheapo DIY stuff & follow the manufacturer's instructions regarding primer; not usually required.

Lots more current info from the rest of us in the Tiling Forum archive posts so always worth a browse through there. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back