Fence Painting!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone have an idea as to which fence paint would be best to use,

We have always kept our fence panels painted, but it does not last the year.

We have used the wickes/focus/homebase type waxed product, looks very nice but does not last too long!

For spraying, does that not get all over everywhere, including the neighbours plants, washing etc. and our the cement posts.

Sponsored Links
If u r gonna spray, pick a still day! I managed to speckle my van with Forest Brown! Not good on a white van.

Impressed with the way the Cuprinol sprayable stuff goes on - seems pretty thick, too. Sadly I only did it this year so I can't vouch for the lifetime.

slotted concrete posts do normally allow the removal of panels prior to painting. :rolleyes:

Sonny, if you mean the coloured preservative type stuff, I've found B &Q's own brand product to be excellent. (And I've used others - they flaked, didn't last, etc). The B & Q stuff is water-based and comes in several colours, light/dark oak, red cedar, etc. Once it's on, rain just beads on the surface but doesn't soak in.

Sponsored Links
Cuprinol shed & fence. Decent stuff, about £12 for a 5l tin. Add a 4" brush and job sorted, spraying wastes a lot.

according to the label on the tin!!!! it says that 5 litre's will spray between 5

and 6 sides of a 6ft panel.

Seems an awful amount to do just that amount, as I have both sides left and

right (for some unknown reason) of a 75 foot long garden to do.

10 or 11 panels each side and both sides of each as the neighbours wont do

it.

Sonny88 said:
according to the label on the tin!!!! it says that 5 litre's will spray between 5

and 6 sides of a 6ft panel.

Seems an awful amount to do just that amount, as I have both sides left and

right (for some unknown reason) of a 75 foot long garden to do.

10 or 11 panels each side and both sides of each as the neighbours wont do

it.

That's why I said don't spray it, you'll certainly need more than 1 can anyway.

You are only responsible for 1 side of the fencing usually. (I've no idea which side though) So find out which side belongs to you and only do that section. If the other side rots away then the neighbours will have to replace it. If appearance bothers you then only paint your side.
Alternatively ask the neighbours to pay for half the materials, as the fence serves you both anyway.

We have both sides! left and right, if the neighbours don't/wont paint it, it will rot quicker, then I'll have to replace it!

Don't know why we are responsible for both sides but that was an understanding when we bought the house.

Although they are good neighbours, I don't think they would pay anything towards its upkeep.

There was no fence at all when we moved here!

Sonny88 said:
Don't know why we are responsible for both sides but that was an understanding when we bought the house.

Although they are good neighbours, I don't think they would pay anything towards its upkeep.

Paint their side bright pink.

If you own a boundary, I believe you are also responsible for the full maintenance of any fence, hedge or wall running along it.

Sonny88 said:
For spraying, does that not get all over everywhere, including the neighbours plants, washing etc. and our the cement posts.
Last year the house about 40m away decided to spray their fence.
It took 8 hours to clean it off my new white windows and other neighbours had to do the same.

I don't want to repeat the rant I did last year, but In my view fence sprayers are not suitable for domestic use.
Suspiciously they have no plants or patios in the adverts...

They are a recipe for your neighbours sueing you, or worse coming round with a baseball bat.

It's silly season again - the fence sprays are out! :(

Not only did my neighbour get my new white upvc
windows, fascia etc, but also my new car!!!!!!!! :evil:

The man in the TV advert may be laughing - but I'm not :evil:

Beware all you potential fence sprayers,
your neighbours property is at risk! :rolleyes:

Have to take my car for professional cleaning, unable to remove the spots from neighbours fence spray :evil:

chezan, dont suppose the OP cares, since they posted it last year

i suggest you check the date before you post, oh, guess what
icon_edit.gif
button does

I am aware that the OP was 2nd April 2007, my opening line "It's silly season again"
was intended to draw forum attention to an increasingly recurring annual problem.

As these sprayers become more commonly used, and still misused, I wanted to refresh a
topic in the hope that "fence sprayers" may be more aware of "overspray" this year than last.
Although in my case, it's too late, the damage has been done, not only to my home & car
but to neighbour relations. I was hoping that forum readers may proceed with more care
and responsibility after reading the post.
I am also aware of the existence of the edit button, but by posting a seperate post
it brought the post to the top again, and caught your attention and perhaps others!

Kind Regards, Chezan :)

EDIT - Obviously refreshed it for Shirley RA107 ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back