rads hot when putting hot water on via programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks
when i put my hot water on via programmer most of the rads seem to get very hot?
changed the programmer,but still same problem but have noticed not all of them are hot?
thanks in advance for any help or info
boiler ideal classic ff330

Sponsored Links
has done it for a few months, but got worse as time has gone on
i used to be able to switch the heating of via programmer and this worked for a while, but it does it all the time now wheather heating on or off
thanks

If it's always done it, you have no valves controlling the heating and hot water.

If it's a new fault, you might have a valve stuck open on the central heating circuit allowing the boiler to heat that circuit instead of blocking it.

It's not heating all the radiators in either case because the programmer isn't pumping the water (as it shouldn't).

Sponsored Links
Motorised valve is stuck or it`s seating is worn and allowing heated water intended for HW circuit to pass and heat rads

thanks for the info
is the valve job something i could do,i have basic plumbing skills
or would i have to call in an expert?

Well, they're fairly simple things.
You'll need to drain down your system to below the valve level then it's just fitted in via compression connectors on either side.

It could be that the motor has gone so you might be able to replace the motor without getting to the wet stuff. B&Q etc do replacement universal motors.

To diagnose
Detach the motor to see if it still works and try the valve by hand to see if it's stiff/jamming/broken.

hi buzzark

thanks for the information
the valve that is fitted is a drayton ma1 which according to there website is like a plug and play?
there is a locking button and another on the side,do you know if i remove this with the buttons, do i still need to drain the system?
my hunch is not, but double checking
i take it the motor is housed inside the casing when it comes off?
thanks

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one.
I'm familiar with their purpose and how they work but I'm not a plumber/heating engineer by trade so haven't had much practical experience.

If it's got isolator valves on each side then I expect you can replace without having to drain down the system, just the bit that's in the valve.

hi

all sorted, removed top housing of valve, as i suspected it can be removed without draining system

turns out one of the lugs inside that holds one of the springs had broken off, thus holding the valve open !!!

glued it back in place,until i can pick one up, and all seems to be going well

many thanks for pointing me in the right direction

cheers
dougie
glasgow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back