too hot rads/water , programmer keeps cutting out ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
we've been having a few strange issues with the CH and hot water recently. We have an Ideal ICOS 18 HE condensing boiler coupled with some un-named programmer and room thermostat, we program it to run both CH and water twice a day.

Just recently I noticed that if the CH and water were on at the same time, the programmer randomly turns itself off and on again every few minutes. If you run the CH on it's own it seems fine, but if you run the hot water on it's own then it also trips, but maybe less frequently.

Initially I suspected the programmer as the boiler seems to respond quite normally when the programmer starts up again, but over the last couple of days I've been noticing that the rads are much hotter than normal (with the room thermostat and the boiler thermostat unchanged) and also the HW seems really hot also.

Any ideas whats going on here ?

I'm expecting to get an engineer in to look, but anything I should check first, or likely fault to have inspected is much appreciated ...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The boiler you have has pcb issuse after a few yrs of installation, sometimes earlier.
It could be your programmer also but pcb is most common.

Thanks for the reply. We had a new pcb a year or 2 ago. I really hope it's not going to need replacing again...

Thanks for the reply. We had the pcb replaced a year or so back. I really hope it's not going to need replacing again ! How likely the symptoms are related ?

Sponsored Links
It could be your programmer then, If you get someone out, it should be an Easy check to see if it is.

Anyone care to recommend a decent engineer in SE london they'd trust to do the job well ?
Thanks

just an update - I've tried testing the programmer with the boiler turned off and the same issue occurs with the programmer where it keeps restarting. Would I be correct that it's more likely to be a fault on the programmer side(or other controls wired to it) ?

Tony Glazier is by far the most knowledgeable man on the forum and he's based in London. Agile Plumbing. He'll sort it for you.

thanks - I've looked him up but he's on the other side of town - might still be worth asking at least :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back