broken Triton hose - help !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help with a broken hose on a Triton T80 ?

The basic problem is that the threaded plastic end of the hose which holds on the head has broken. I've made a temporary repair with gaffer tape.

Ideally, I'd like to replace the hose. The problem is that I can't shift it at the other end. It's jammed fast. I've sprayed WD40 into it and used grippers but no joy. It just twists the plastic bit to which it's attached and I'm scared of snapping it off.

Does anyone have any suggestions short of replacing the whole shebang ? It's at least 10 years old and working ok.

Sponsored Links
yeah try that cilit bang stuff of any limescale removal products..

and shouldn't this be in plumbing?

Any chance of carefully cutting a diagonal slot in it (with a hacksaw blade), putting a screwdriver in the slot and twisting to expand/break it (if you see what I mean). Better to deliberately butcher the part you are going to replace than break the connector on the shower unit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. Sorry for posting this in the wrong place.

I've just squirted in some descaler using the syringe from an inkjet refill kit. I'll leave it overnight and see what happens.

If all else fails, I'll try the hacksaw trick. Shouldn't be too difficult. The outer section looks like aluminium.

Might try pouring hot water over it too. In theory, the metal outer will expand before the plastic inner.

Ta. Phil.

cillit bang, i was thinking more along the lines of a well known kettle descaler that i can't for the life of me remember

You could take the unit apart so that you can remove the flow control valve to get a better grip on it.

To remove it, isolate the unit electrically, put a sheet over the shower waste, remove the cover, remove the two screws holding the flow control valve in place, pick them up off the sheet, loosen the screw at the side of the can, and ease the can forward so that you can remove the valve. Locate the rubber O ring and make sure you don't lose it or damage it.

If you do break the valve then they're available as spares from Triton.

I got it fixed today. Thanks for all your help.

In the end, the chemical treatments didn't work at all so I did the hacksaw trick. Bought a new hose from B&Q for about £5 and it works fine although it's a bit stiffer than the old one.

Whilst I was on the job I removed all of the fittings and gave everything a damn good clean. The pole was going rusty and I've got it shining like new.

Ta. Phil.

There's nothing more pleasing than a shining pole.

I wonder why a moderator moved this into the Electrics when its a pure plumbing problem of water pipes!

As the units 10 years old and they are pretty cheap I would recommend that the supply cable capacity is checked and a new shower bought with ratings within the allowable power rating of the supply/cable.

Tony

Agile said:
I wonder why a moderator moved this into the Electrics when its a pure plumbing problem of water pipes!
philmch said:
In the end, the chemical treatments didn't work at all so I did the hacksaw trick.

Nah - it clearly belongs in the Tools forum. ;)

As the units 10 years old and they are pretty cheap I would recommend that the supply cable capacity is checked and a new shower bought with ratings within the allowable power rating of the supply/cable.
Mm yes - entirely a plumbing subject. :rolleyes:

Would you recommend checking the circuit protection, and the bonding, and the cable length, and the total load at the CU, Agile?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back