Honeywell V4073 Mid-Position Valve - any experts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

recently changed valve & head (head burnt out). Wired up as instructed, completed all checks and confirm working as expected. I have noticed that a 'feature' that is probably there all the time, but only apparent when you start looking.
If you have HW Tank stat satisfied, the controller set to CH ON + HW OFF, and then the controller/timer switches CH OFF, the V4073 is left in 'hold in last position' mode as it is getting a live on the Orange and Grey wires. This means the valve is powered on (and gently vibrating) for long periods. The only way to stop is is to flick the HW ON for a bit to reset valve - you hear the spring pull the valve back. It is doing what the guide states, but I am surprised in this energy efficient age we have all these valve consuming power in a mode that they must be in for the majority of the time. Any explanations, thoughts, opinions or workarounds or I am just a sad git?

Sponsored Links
The power consumption is only about 4 or 5 watts which is irrelevant compared with your porch or driveway lights.

Tony

My porch light consumes 11 Watts - now what say you?

Sponsored Links
If you're concerned about it get yerself a Satchwell programmer, which have a feature to "release" the 3 port mechanism.

When your heating or heating and hot water is on , the motor is activated ,therefore consuming about 5 watts . In the hot water only position , the motor is deactivated ,so using no power (except what your timer ,programmer is using)

The energy wasted in this way by the valve is probably less than one percent of that wasted by the cylinder, which is again only a fraction of what is wasted by inefficient heating and inadequate draft proofing and insulation. Do not worry about it, all our energy use is subject to large amounts of tax revenue for our government, which would be in serious trouble if we all suddenly became energy efficient.

The valve sitting in heating after a heating demand is normal. As said above, the power used is negligable.

Depends what boiler you have.

Modern boilers require a permanent live from terminal 1 and a switched live from the orange wire terminal in your diagram.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back