Novelty / Silly current carrying capacity post

T

toasty

Ok,

I know the answer, and I can post a picture to prove it.

I have a question for you all.

A single conductor (not the earth) from a piece of 1mm T&E can carry how much current before failing when in open air without any insulation on it and with average ambient temperature?

When I say fail, I mean it glows red and then melts in half.

What do you think? How many amps can a piece of wire normally rated at 14 amps actually take before it fails?

Answers on a postcard please! :)

-Dan

Sponsored Links
Maybe! :D

And my *new* clamp meter :)

and my *new* themocoupling DMM :D

and some big jumpleads :D

....but it wasn't just a bit of fun, I needed a fusible link for a project I'm working on. It was interesting though!

Sponsored Links
How thick was a piece of 30A fuse wire?

On a guess, 145A :rolleyes:

Chri5 said:
How thick was a piece of 30A fuse wire?

Tinned copper wire of diameter 0.85mm in absense of any other instructions from the maker of the fuse, which corresponds to a CSA of 0.57mm² and fuses at roughly 60A

45A 3036 have 1.25mm (1.22mm²) and fuse at roughly 90A

On a guess, 145A :rolleyes:

I don't beleive it will be quite that high ;)

DSCN1373.jpg

Approx 98amps. It melted at about 1100C

Wasn't massively off then, not bad for a quick fag packet calculation :) , especially when you think about the fact that when you look up the tabulated current you probably get the figure thats worked out on worst case resistance and CSA thats allowed by the cable standards and for cable that exceeds that by a bit its likely to be a bit higher

out of interest, what temperatures are that thermometer calibrated to? 1100C is a lot :eek:

dunno how high it'll go, I think it depends on what thermocouple you use.

copper's melting point is some 1080C so the 1100(ish) it was reading seems fairly accurate.

2.5mm eh?

I reckon I could melt 6mm :LOL:

Think you can better that?! :LOL:

Let's start a 'my welder is bigger than yours competition'

-Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back