Change Wall Switch - Plastic to Chrome - Earthing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Am looking to change the wall switches from plastic to metal/chrome ones. I have a question about the earthing - Basically the metal back boxes are already earthed in that the earth cable is wired into them. The red and black cables are self explanatory, but i also have an earth connection on the back of the switch plate. This isn't mounted on the actual metal of the switch plate but white plastic. Do i also need to connect this with an earth cable and run it to the same place as where the earth cable is connected on the back box? if that makes any sense?
Any help/guidance would be appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, get some yellow/green wire or copper & sleeving & connect the back box to the earth terminal of the switch.

Thanks. Main reason for asking is that two switches had already been done in the house (plastic to chrome) but do not have this second earch cable between the switch plate and the back box and the house was originally owned by an electrician who made these changes. Also, these lights work fine - does that mean these also have to be changed?

Yes, the switches should all have a proper earth connection to them.
Something working and something being safe are 2 different things.

Sponsored Links
Ok Thanks. quite strange though that an electrician would not have done it correctly or 'safely'?!?

Ok, so i have just bought some earth cable as advised, but then realised that i have not checkd the size of the earth cable currently being used (as connected to the back box). Do you think that 1.5mm2 will be ok for what i need to do here (back box to switch plate)?
Thanks (again)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back