Wall Light in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My existing wall light has earth, neutral and live wires, but the light fitting I have just purchsed from Ikea only has neutral and live. Is it OK to put the earth wire in a plastic connector?

Sponsored Links
Yes it is ok. Put it in a connector block, don't cut it short, and make sure it's marked green-and-yellow. The light should have a double square symbol on it to show it is double insulated, or marked as Class II.

Also be certain that it is designed for use in bathrooms. It should have an IP rating and the instructions should show which zones in the bathroom it is suitable for.

You need to check wether the fitting carries the double insulated symbol, which looks like this:
dinsulated.jpg
. If it does then the fitting does NOT require an earth, and it is fine to put it in a piece of strip connector on its own.

If it does not carry the DI symbol then it probably does require an earth connection.

Also as this fitting is going to be installed in the bathroom, you need to ensure it is suitable for the zone in which it will be sited.

Please see Here

Hi

Many thanks for the information, I will check to make sure the symbols are there before I continue.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Mel

Sponsored Links
Hello all , I'm glad someone posted this up because I was a little unsure, I'm adding a spotlight in my bathroom. It says it's double insulated and DO NOT EARTH.

So can I just clarify, I connect the Live & Neutral to my junction box above the ceiling fitting but leave the earth alone, or should this be wired to the junction box above my main light.

If no earth is needed at either end would I be better off using a cable with no earth?

Thanks in advance everyone

Where in relation is it going in regards to a bath or shower basin? What it it's IP rating? Generally, you should run and terminate the earth to each point, wether it is required or not as you may wish to replace the light with a class 1 version in the future. Depending where it is, it may also require supplementary bonding if the circuit isn't already done. Also, please note that if you are in England or Wales adding a light in a bathroom is notifiable to your LABC under Part P of the building regs.

hello spark,
the light is going on the ceiling, directly above the sink. The light fitting is suitable for the outside zone of a bathroom.

What is supplementary bonding :( ? I already have the ceiling light fitted, I just want to run a the spotlight ( a normal 60watt bulb 220/240v) to come on with the ceiling light by running a cable from the junction box that the ceiling light is connected to up through the loft and to the recess light over the sink.

I didn't know that adding a light in a bathroom is notifiable to your LABC under Part P of the building regs. they should state that in the lighting instructions.

Thanks for getting back to me,

Cheers Jo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back