Attaching a towel radiator to a Plasterboard/Stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am hoping to fit a towel radiator in my bathroom but the only walls I can put it are both Plasterboard/Stud I have plasterboard raw plugs BUT will the radiator be to heavy for the wall to support? I know I could try to fix it to the studs if i can locate them but I’m sure they won’t be the 600mm distance apart that the radiator is which means allot more work and opening the wall.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You should be able to find a stud without opening up the wall. If you can't locate a stud try drilling a small hole or two in the plasterboard. Insert a wire coat hanger or similar and poke it around until you hit a stud then mark the wall . A vertical stud is probably what you will find but this will do. You can then hang at least one pair of rad brackets on the stud and use brolly fixings for the other side-
If the rad is on the small side tho' you can get away with just plasterboard fixings-( brollies or redi-drivers) If it's on the big side best to find a stud.

Once you've found the studs, consider puttting a pair of battens on the wall to span (at least) two studs and fastening the rad brackets to that.

If you are ill, drunk, clumsy or injured and fall on a rad, you can easily pull it off plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
<<Once you've found the studs, consider puttting a pair of battens on the wall to span (at least) two studs and fastening the rad brackets to that>>

That'll look nice behind his new towel rad!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back