Bath installed with no feet/support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My (great) plumber has installed new bath, but didn't use the supplied plastic feet. He says the wall/floor mounted wooden frame he's built is enough to take weight (I've seen it & it is mega!). The bath does not touch floor. Is it ok without? fyi I'm a Londoner now living in New Zealand so perhaps they have a different view here, but miss home enough to ask you guys for the final word...!

Sponsored Links
Hi ljay

I would say that this is probably ok, as long as the weight is not just taken by the rim of the bath. What parts of the bath is the cradle/frame touching?

Also curious - whereabouts are you in NZ?

If it is a plastic bath with a flat wooden base, then we have done this ourselves before. ( Only because the legs were missing and we couldnt wait for a replacement. I have to say the frame my chippy made up was excellent and if we had time, we would do it more often. Fine adjustment of the level was a pain though.

Like Softus asks, I would ensure that the weight of the bath is supported from the base of the bath and not the upper rim.

It's an enamelled steel bath. The thick wood frame is secured from wall to floor on 3 sides & 1 open side supported by same frame. The frame sits under the rim of bath sides all the way round.The bath does not touch floor but is unsupported at base -he did not use the plastic feet supplied & has now fixed the bath panel in so it would be a palava to remove. We are not heavy people & have no heavy friends(!)so is it ok to leave as is?
p.s we're in Auckland!

Sponsored Links
'Under rim' = the gap between bath side & outer rim edge (approx 40mm)

'Under rim' = the gap between bath side & outer rim edge (approx 40mm)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back