Bath support frame-tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm installing an acrylic bath but am in two minds about building a wooden frame to give added support. Is a wooden frame needed?

Also, if the bath is on a solid concrete floor, do i need to install planks of wood under the adjustable bath feet?

Sponsored Links
It shouldn't be strictly necessary to make a timber frame unless the MI's say so, but it certainly helps - especially when you fit the bath panels....gives them much more support!
There could be brackets that hold the bath side up against the wall....essential to use them if required.
You don't really need timber under the feet, just make sure that all the feet make contact with the floor so spend time setting it up.
Personally I've fitted extra feet on a few occasions just to help with the support - especially if the punter is large!
John :)

thanks for the advice! taken on board! Will be installing the frame later, using wickes frame timber, the cheap stuff and will give it a couple of coats of yatch varnish to make it slightly water proof

Sponsored Links
I've just had a bath fitted and plumbed in.

It creaks quite a lot though. Starting to wish I had bought a steel bath and asked the plumbers to fit wooden battons around the edge. Ah well, you live and learn or you don't live long.

What I am planning on doing is adding my own extra feet made of wood in addition to the 5 metal ones. My thinking is I could have a strip of wood running horizontally along the floor, a strip of wood running horizontally along the underside of the bath and then fit 5 or 6 wooden blocks sandwiched inbetween. This could be done along all 4 edges of the bath. Does this sound ok, or would I be just as well having wooden blocks between the underside of the bath and the floor and do away with the wooden strips?

Anything will help :idea: - consider injecting small amount of filler foam between blocks and bath underside - Leave room for it to expand :!:

Hi

Also, if the bath is on a solid concrete floor, do i need to install planks of wood under the adjustable bath feet?
Feck :eek: are ye Oirish :?: - De feet`l sink into wood - Like an overweight bog- digger into a bog :idea: ;)

Well tonight I built a wooden frame beneath the bath. Since there is a layer of chip board glued to the bottom of the bath I put a plank of wood along the floor (1.5 inches thick by 3.5 inches wide) running the opposite way to the floor boards, and then using the same wood made several supports which I wedged between the underside of the bath and the plank.

Took me bloody ages since cutting the supports to the right height was trial and error, and as you wedged one in place it would cause another one to become loose. Got it all right in the end, and also added two supports from the floor to the outside edge of the bath for good measure.

Pleased to say all creaking has ceased. My only concerns are as follows:

1) The bloody metal cradle had come away from the chipboard slightly in one place and the screw just turned and wouldn't tighten - after wedging in the homemade supports and adjusting the leg slightly I am hoping this will be ok.

2) After wedging in the supports I guess it's possible that the bath is now a couple of millimeters higher than before - I am guessing that the seal will be ok, and it would only really split if the bath was lower than before (rather than higher, which would cause the seal to just squash up, right?)

3) Am worried about my supports resulting in pressure points on the bottom of the bath and eventually causing it to crack. I am assuming this will be ok though since the chipboard on the underside will help to spread the weight. I also used quite a few supports (not just one or two) coupled with the original cradle and legs.

4) Wondering if as the bath is walked in and filled with water it will cause it to "bed in" and start creaking again, or if the wood will remain pretty sturdy.

If anyone has any thoughts on the above I'd be interested to hear!

Thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back