Hot Water and CH refuse to work together/

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The boiler is an old Glow worm II. The hot water and CH both refuse to work independently. Whenever the hot water is on the rads heat up to a stupid temp. The pump has been replaced but no joy although the rads turned off via the thermostat when hot-but not any more.

Also the diverter valve has been changed. The problem still persists!!. The previous owner did mention something about 'funny pipework' under the bath floorboards. Would there be another valve there causing problems, maybe from an old system?? What else could cause this problem

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
astirl2809 said:
The previous owner did mention something about 'funny pipework' under the bath floorboards.
Presumably, having been forewarned, you set aside some funds to pay someone to sort out the pipework, which is what you're probably now going to have to do.

Softus said:
Presumably, having been forewarned, you set aside some funds to pay someone to sort out the pipework, which is what you're probably now going to have to do.

Of course. But how would this affect the hot water and CH. Why wasnt this picked up when both the pump and DV were changed. The question isnt about having money set aside but what within the pipework - if this is really the problem, is causing the rads to heat up when the hot water is running.

astirl2809 said:
But how would this affect the hot water and CH.
I don't know without knowing what might be "funny" about your inherited pipework. The first things I would elminate are the programmer, thermostat(s) and any MZVs.

Why wasnt this picked up when both the pump and DV were changed.
Why were those components changed? :confused:

Also the diverter valve has been changed. The problem still persists!!
May be a dodgy DV

astirl2809 wrote:
The previous owner did mention something about 'funny pipework' under the bath floorboards

Possible the old heating / hot water was a system with gravity?

if this is really the problem, is causing the rads to heat up when the hot water is running.

Dodgy DV.

The pump was worn. RGI changed the DV as was told that this was the reason the CH part of the system was heating up.

I think i'll lift up the boards where these 'funny' pipes are supposed to be and have a look.

maybe they have used a gate valve fitted between flow and return to act as a sort of bypass?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back