Joining a laminate floor over a slight dip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if anyone can help, but I'm struggling to find a chippy that has the time to come and have a look at this for me as its quite a small job..

My lounge was enlarged by the previous owners by knocking down the wall between the old dining room and the lounge. I have redecorated and we decided on a laminate floor for the entire room. This is where the problem arose. At the point where the old dividing wall was is a the remains of the conrete (about 4ins or less) The floor at one end of the room is lower than at the other meaning that the concrete they have used to smooth over the base of the old wall act like a ramp. Each actual room (as they used to be is flat, its more that the whole floor is lower that the other section) This is not a standard slope over the width of the room.

I spoke to a chippy over the phone and his advice was to lay the floor in two sections and leave a gap in the middle where the concrete "ramp" was. He reckoned that it would be possible to fit a small piece of wood and then plane it to the right level.

I've laid the floor. Now have a 4in gap between my two sections across the width of the room. I can't find a chippy that wants to come and do this work and I'm not sure I feel confident enough to do it myself. I need some ideas of other ways to fill this gap (if there are any) I was wondering about a resin or rubber type filler, but it will be on obvious show so needs to be reasonably attractive.

Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanksd guys

Sponsored Links
I know it will not be the perfect answer but can you not lose the ramp and gain a step which you can laminate straight up to and finish with a piece of right angled trim to sit over the face of tread and riser ?

i had thought of this but there isn't really enough height. Its only about 30mm at the most.

ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back