Help Please -Bathroom Extractor Fan Timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had an extension done and the Bloke came round for the Electrical inspection.He said the bathroom extractor fans need to be on a Delay timer of about 30 secs.At the moment they come on and go out when i pull the cord.

I dont want to pull out the existing fans unless absolute necessary,because i want to avoid redoing the tiles.

Is it a legal requirement to have a Timer fan in a home? A friend of mine who's a General Handy man says its only commercial properties which require a continuous or a timer fan.

Please advice.

thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Who installed the bathroom fan in the first place ?

Is there a local means of isolation (Switch in both Neutral, Live and/Or Switched Live) for the fan other than by switching off the light (which would be in Switched live only) ?

Has the fan (and other required items in the bathroom been supplementary bonded (e.g copper pipes, shower, lighting circuit etc)?

Was "the bloke" who inspected from the LABC or have you instructed a spark to do a PIR or Visual Inspection on the whole house ?

Also, I am unsure as to whether this is in an existing bathroom or in the extension (new)

Hi Guys

Thanks for replying.

The bathrooms are in the extension.

There are no isolator switches fitted,therefore it cant be isolated independently of the light switch.

The fans are bonded.

The Guy that came in was an Elecsa electrician,but i did speak with the guy in Council Building Control.The long and short is that BC dont care about the specific fixtures and switches ,all they need is an electrician's certificate.

I did read the docs but i am still confused :(

1.Do i need to install timer Fans,to satisfy any legal requirement?

2. In case i dont, Do i need to install the Isolator Switches, again is it a legal requirement?

Thanks for all your help.

Sponsored Links
hi there

ive had many discussions regarding fans in extensions, the advice given to you from middlesex bc is the direct opposite ive had from kingston bc,each local area bc seems to make there own rules, but as a matter of course it should have an isolator on.

Fans in bathrooms or WC's without an opening window should have an over run facility of at least 15 mins. If the room has an opening window then you don't need an over run.

The fan should however have an isolator which will disconnect the live, switched live and neutral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back