Laying Ceramic Floor Tiles For Home Gym

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
can anyone tell me if this is a good idea:
To lay self-levelling compound in my conservatory, and while it is still setting (but not liquidy) lay floor tiles, using a spirit level to keep them level.
My second question is:
I have this multigym, (http://powertecfitness.com/workbench_lev_gym.htm)and was wondering whether the tiles would break under the weight. But after reading posts here i get the impression that if the tiles are layed properly they can withstand a lot of weight. But what about impact? so to describe to you in detail, under each foot of the gym i would have a rubber tile to absorb impact. on top of that i would have a larger tile (same size as rubber one) to spread the weight over the tiled floor. Thirdly whilst exercising i would be careful not to let the weights drop.

Thank you,
ps, is it possible to lay floor tiles so each tile is perfectly level with its neighbour tile? I have asked floor tilers they say there is no such thing as perfect.

Pelvis.

Sponsored Links
Lay tiles in tile adhesive not self levelling compound. Yes tiles will withstand that weight no problem if you fit them properly.
Don't be dropping weights on them or you risk chipping them.

By the way, there's a tiling forum you know. I do wish that ADMIN would read my e-mails and and make a note after the flooring title saying that there's no tiling in this forum.

Use floor adhesive as stated...

if u have free weights. be careful as dropping them may chip the ceramic. Considering using a mat for weights etc?

Thanks for your advice. I'm full of ideas but not all of them are good.
What about the last bit, i have seen tiled floors that are perfectly level, each tile being at the same plane as its neighbour. But three professional floor tilers i have spoken to were doubtful when i asked them if they can tile so that the floor is perfectly level. How difficult can it be, if you take your time laying and adjusting each tile and use a spirit level?

ps, sorry about posting this topic in the wrong area.

Pelvis.

Sponsored Links
dont trust tiling pro's - they can't do a perfect job because time is of the essence -unless they;re doing their own kitchen and dont have a nagging missus

:D

work out if your floor can support the weight, then buy about 250kg of slc, -assuming your room is 3x3m with a 2 inch drop from one end to the other. adjust you calcs accordingly.
lay in some gravel in the deeper areas. etc...

seriously if i was going to do something similar again, i'd install some joists 2ft over the floor, stick a cement mixer on that and keep churning it out and levelling to taste.

b/

bananaspark said:
dont trust tiling pro's - they can't do a perfect job because time is of the essence b/

:D

That's exactly my opinion. If they were to take their time they could do it. But they have other jobs to complete. So i'll do it myself even if i only do 2 or 3 tiles a day - so long as i get them perfect.

Pelvis.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back