Connecting up to existing lead waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wonder if you can advise any way of connecting my new basin waste to an existing lead waste pipe?!?

the lead pipe has been bent to give it an integral trap and the fitting seems to be the same as on the waste supplied with the basin. so, they can in theory couple up but in practise the lead pipe is too long and when i bent it to try to fit the screw-in plug at the base of the lead trap started leaking. even ptfe hasn't been able to stop it and anyhoo i knackered the thread. i've siliconed it and hopefully this will stop it!

so my question is this - is there any way of connecting lead to pvc waste? i've tried a compression waste coupling but the overall diameter of the lead pipe is too thick. anybody had similar experience and managed to find a solution?

any tips would be gratefully received! :D

many thanks,

chris

Sponsored Links
Fernco / flexseal couplings will fit anything. Good plumbers merchants...

image1.jpg

Bahco said:
Change all the waste to plastic. :!: :D

Me too, lead where used and upgraded has to be changed for plasic/copper anyway now I thought. Any exisiting is ok but when modifications and new installations are carried out the lead must go....right?

Sponsored Links
Not really, lead on gutters or waste pipes are not any problem and can even be soldered if required.

Its only lead water supply pipes which cannot be soldered and where ever possible should be replaced.

Some of the waste compression fittings will often seal onto lead waste pipes.

Tony

Plastic waste and fittings cost peanuts and should be used to update internal plumbing IMO :D

i would love to change all the lead for plastic, unfortunately its buried deep in the insides of the house and to replace i would have to rip out a lot of stuff to get access. the pipe comes up from the floor and i cant even get acces to where it tees into. gonna try these seals they look ideal!

thanks for the advice, will let you know how i get on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back