Lighting circuit problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new house. I am having a problem with the light in the front room downstairs. It was very dim (40W)so i tried to change it to a 60W or 100W bulb. This did not work. I have checked what voltage i have in the socket and it is only 188 volts (all the others are 240 volts). I have now tried to put a 40W bulb back in and this wont work now either. All the other lights are working fine. Does anyone have any ideas why i am losing volts from the previous ceiling rose to the front room? Thanks in advance. :mad:

Sponsored Links
probably a loose connection in the lampholder or ceiling rose, if that is ok check the previous ceiling rose in the line, switch the power off at the consumer unit first.Did you measure the voltage from live to neutral? If so what did it measure live to earth, if that is ok then you have a poor connection in the neutral line somewhere.

Thanks for your advice. There was a loose neutral connection in the previous ceiling rose. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back