GAS FIRE / PRE CAST FLUE PROBLEMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Firstly, I apologise if I have posted this in the wrong section.

Can someone help me please....I have just taken my old gas fire out (it was one that is mounted 'outset') and would like to replace it with an inset one.

I have a pre-cast flue (The house is 30 years old) and am struggling to find a new unit that will fit in the gap that I have. (it measures 320mm wide internally, but the concerete tapers in towards the opening down to about 285mm).

I got a CORI registered engineer to visit me last night as I wanted some advice.
On the one side of the 'opening' where the concerte tapers in, it is cracked, loose and I am pretty sure that given reasonable force that I could rip a sizeable chunck (maybe 2" deep) of this concerete out using just my hand. I wondered if this could be dangerous as I have been led to believe that if fumes are getting through this crack they are going into the wall cavity and probably ending up somewhere upstairs!!

Anyway, this engineer who visited me yesterday said that the best thing to do was for him to chisel some of the concerete out and effectively widen the gap so that I have a greater choice of fires that will fit. I expressed my concerns to him about him being able to rebuild & safely re-seal the flue after he had widened it but he said there was no issue, that he had recently done it with another house on our estate. He said that he would be able to 'rebuild' it with a product called asbestolux??

Anyway being unsure about this, I have today called another Corgi registered engineer and asked his opinion. He said that although he can't say for sure until he see's the job (He sould be visiting me tomorrow) he suggests that there is no way under any circumstance anyone should attempt to widen the gap that I have for the fire, and that if the concerete is loose then it's quite possible that the flue will need to be condemmed!!!

So guys, sorry to have bored you for so long, but WHO DO I BELEIVE???????

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Second one I would say, sounds good advice so I would let him see it.

Get him to check flue in loft also as the gasket between y-type adaptor & ridge tile fail frequently so you may also need flue renewing. So may be best settling for a balanced flued fire (if you have an outside wall etc) or an electric fire

I would go with second one as well, pre cast flue is usually supplied and fitted as a complete unit to match up with flue blocks. Not like a normal fire place opening that can be adjusted for size.

Sponsored Links
dave240480 said:
I got a CORI registered engineer to visit me last night as I wanted some advice.
On the one side of the 'opening' where the concerte tapers in, it is cracked, loose and I am pretty sure that given reasonable force that I could rip a sizeable chunck (maybe 2" deep) of this concerete out using just my hand.

(it measures 320mm wide internally, but the concerete tapers in towards the opening down to about 285mm).

This seems a weird shape for a pre cast opening, it usually has flat sides or is tapered to the back of the opening. Has someone in the past "built in" the opening with concrete to fit a closure plate for a fire, hence the crack?
Check both sides & see if it has the same crack or a seam in the concrete, if it is I would be tempted to chip a bit away & see what's underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back