Extractor Fan Legally Mandatory In Residential Bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - need your help please. I've done a search and not found the answer. Someone (civil engineer) recently told me that I must have an extractor fan in my bathroom. Is this correct ?

Many thanks....

Sponsored Links
depends on the situation..

if your bathroom has no mean sof natural ventilation ( ie no opening window ) then you need a fan with a run on timer to evacuate any odors.

ColJack - many thanks for swift response.
My bathroom has an opening window, though it is the smaller upper window that opens, rather than the larger lower window. How do I tell if this gives me 15l/sec extraction (I did do SOME reading before I asked my question :) )

Thanks again...

Daveprior - You will need an extract fan regardless of whether you have a window or not.

Sponsored Links
..if it is a new house or a new bathroom, yes.

If it is an old house you can carry on the way it was built.

jamiedl said:
Daveprior - You will need an extract fan regardless of whether you have a window or not.

No, I'm pretty sure that's not right; if it’s a new bathroom then you must comply with current regs. but if it’s an existing bathroom which your just updating then you can’t be forced to retrofit to current standards unless making significant changes which involve notifyable works.

Sorry JohnD, didn't check pefore posting my reply but it seems we both agree.

Sorry i thought you were creating a bathroom - i would have one fitted anyway to help get rid of the steam from the bath etc - saves having the window open on a cold night and possibility of dampness

I was replying to the statement that the engineer told him he MUST have a fan..

it's not an absolute.. which is the answer I gave..

it does not reflect my own opinion since the OP didn't ask for it..

however, unsolicited as it may be, here it is..

I would fit a fan with a run on timer anyway for the numerous reasons posted already above..

me too :)

and have it come on when the light is switched on

I prefer it switched independantly if there is a window in the bathroom :)

if there's te posibility that the lights will not be used during the day then I'd fit a fan with a PIR and timer built in..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back