Electra AWM 1100A trips out elcetricity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, my second hand washing machine has started tripping out the electricity. It starts fine, fills up ok, then when it starts the actual wash it trips out. I am able to spin clothes and the machine empties fine, it seems to happen when the water has just heated up and it starts to turn the washing, any ideas? I had the guys out who sold it to me and they suggested putting a new plug on so I want to be armed with some onfo when they next try to fob me off!

Sponsored Links
What is written on the thing that trips out?

Does it have a Test button and say "test quarterly" or similar?

Or does it say "B32" on it?

Does it have some kind of guarantee? Changing the plug is most unlikely to do any good (unles the old one was burned, wet or damaged)

Hi, and thank you for answering so quickly, the switch that trips doesnt have anything written on it but on and off, it is situated underneath a switch that has a big T on it. It is not the huge main switch, it is not the smaller MCB switches, it is on its own at the end on the left, it is in size between the big switch and the smaller ones, please forgive my ignorance if this doesnt help you!Janey

Sponsored Links
It is tripping the rcd & fitting a new plug will make no difference as it trips part through the cycle.They are trying to fob you off, if you have just bought it & it has a warranty tell them you want it fixing.

[/img]
P1010544.jpg

P1010541.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

jj4091 is right.

Also, remember to test that RCD (at least) quarterly, or it may jam when there is a safety fault.

Thank you gentlemen! I feel armed with information and dangerous now! Your help is much appreciated, Janey

Quite likely it has a small water leak that is dripping on an electrical part, but it could be some other electrical fault, perhaps on the motor.

The RCD is tripping because it detects the current leaking to earth, and cuts power before it has time to electrocute you. Good thing you have the RCD as such a fault can be very dangerous when electricity, water and pipes come together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back