Masonary paint on internal Ceiling..EXPERT ADVICE NEEDED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What looks like sandtex exterior masonary paint with textured grit bits is on the dinning room ceiling which looks like it was badly cracked. It is doing it's job and probably been there years...white sheen and all sound. Though could have been covered with a coat of silk emulsion or stillthe original sheen effect?

Why I think it is masonary paint is that it look like grey plaster underneath?

My concern is what to paint it with as it has a sheen. Have a tin of white trade vinyl matt. Will that be ok? Just worried in case anything peels.

Sponsored Links
Shouldnt have any problems as long as the ceiling is sound and dry. And the white matt is a good quality one. will need two coats to make it look solid.

Is it really gritty..bits the size of grains of sugar?..if so it could be polytex...they used to use it to cover up bad celings

It never worked!

The grains are more like sugar cubes...well not really but large gravelly and badly spread out. Could it be artex put on by someone who wears jamjar glasses but unfortunately forgot to wear them on this occassion?

Sponsored Links
Nope sounds like its definatly polytex...you may be able to remove it using a filling knife...the blad is thinner and sometimes it omes off in strips.

About 2 years ago, I was painting our bedroom ceiling, and after it was done, and was packing up the materials, I was horrified to find that I had picked up the wrong tin, and used masonry paint.

But it looked alright, and still does, so I am leaving it. :D

I am happy to leave the stuff on...but will vinyl matt be ok to use on it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back