ideal response 100 loud bang when igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help my boiler bangs when it ignites this seems to happen at peak times only transco have changed meter govenor and say supply is 20mbh but it may drop at peak times.can anything be done to solve this problem
cheers

Sponsored Links
Probably needs the hx cleaning out properly as it affects the gas / air mixture. I would see if you can get ideal to come and do a service on it as if folks are not familiar with them they tend to just brush the cack deeper into the hx fins where it accumulates and is a nightmare to get out. They also suffer from erratic ignition units after a few years.

These boilers are also fairly unusual as they ignite at full rate - so if the spark is weak like Ollski intimated, that would account for your bang (later models had a reinforcing bar put across the front of the heat exchanger).

Ideal also need to fit a second theromstat to the flue, so if you havn't done that call them - they'll do it for free.

You can say "while you here" or even sneekier; call them back saying it has started doing it. Not that I would condone the practice of lying to a compnay with such an enviable reputation for customer service ;) :rolleyes: .

barprop said:
please help my boiler bangs when it ignites this seems to happen at peak times only transco have changed meter govenor and say supply is 20mbh but it may drop at peak times.can anything be done to solve this problem
cheers

That may well be the clue!

These boilers are very sensitive and everything has to be exactly right.

If the supply pressure is dropping at peak times that thats probably the cause!

A common problem with ignition is that the heat exchanger is starting to leak water into the combustion chamber. Thats usually terminal!

Tony

Sponsored Links
When the h/e starts to leak, but not too much yet, the water causes the fan to start slowly and create a build up of gas before ignition. Causes the same sort of boom but indicates fair amount of money about to leave your bank account.

Had the same problem with the Ideal Response 120 in the summer - very explosive ignition (loud crack/pop noise).

got it serviced - the engineer showed me some gubbins (sorry not very technical I know) that were extremely filthy and meant it was difficult to spark. he was surprised when I told him it was serviced by a corgi guy 2 years before.

it lasted a few more months before the boiler made a huge explosive sound after a few weeks of low pressure, it leaked after the big bang and the fan is choc full of water, the part that needs to be replaced (heater exchange) is apparently hard to find and expensive to buy and fit.

so i'm now awaiting quotes from 4 plumbers to replace the whole boiler, which has frankly been a pain over the last few years, requiring at leats two call outs for different reasons every year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back