FITTED NEW LIGHT AND SWITCH,HIT A PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted some new wall lights into my existing junction box that powers the ceiling spotlights already fitted in my kitchen..

I took a black and earth from the junction box and wired it to my new lamps,then took the live from the junction box, wired it into a new switch then into the lamps and they worked..

But the problem i have is that the new lamps will only work when the ceiling spotlights are on,i can then turn the new lamps on or off,but if i turn the ceiling lights off they won't work..

Is it because the live feed is a switched and is there a work around without ripping house to pieces ..

Cheers

Sponsored Links
yes it is becuse the live supply is in fact a switchd live. only solution you need a permanent live from the same supply.

nice to see you bruce, to see you..................

Thanks for the reply,after reading a few search results i thought that maybe the problem...

How many wires are in the junction box?
If the lighting circuit is going through it then there should be a permanent live. Usually 2 or 3 live wires on the same terminal, with the switched live on another terminal going to the ceiling light.Test it with a live tester.

as Crafty says, no free advertising, please read the forum rules

Sponsored Links
steve venus said:
If the lighting circuit is going through it then there should be a permanent live. Usually 2 or 3 live wires on the same terminal, with the switched live on another terminal going to the ceiling light.Test it with a live tester.

Well theres in the junction box,one red,two black which are screwed into one connector and one earth,and on the original one way light switch it as two reds into top which says common and one into the bottom..

Hope that makes sense please let one of these be permanent live

steve venus said:

www.no free advertising
no advertising

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back