DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Can I use a solvent based undercoat over water based primer?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazzawazza

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote

Yesterday I purchased some quick drying white primer and painted my second story outside windows and surrounding area. As it was quick drying I stupidly assumed that the primer was solvent based. It wasn't until I was cleaning the brushes that I realised it was water based.
Now, the tins of under-coat and top-coat paint I have are solvent based. Can I use these or should I purchase some new water based paint?
Painting second story windows has been a big job so I want it to last as long as possible. Thanks
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
slow fade

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:27 am Reply with quote

yes. icon_razz.gif

Just make sure you give the primed area a sandpaper down between coats to give it a key.
I do it all the time anyways!!
 Alert Moderators
Robbie uk

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote

Thing to remember is that water based paints dont penetrate the timber as well so although the solvent based paint will go over it ok it is still only as good as the paint underneath. Water based undercoats tend not to want to stay on timber outside when it starts to expand and contract and could flake off.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Decorating and Painting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: