Which dimmer switch for quiet buzz-free operation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I (my wife!) want to get a dimmer switch for our nursery. I've heard from people that these can buzz quite a lot, and it seems to be pot luck whether you get a quiet one or not.

Can anyone recommend a decent make/supplier that will be quiet/flicker free in operation. I dont mind paying a bit extra if need be.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Some do, buzz, some dont and it can depend on the load.

Try the IQ dimmers (from TLC-DIRECT) they pretty good and havent had a noisy one yet!

All the dimmers I have come across make some kind of noise, but some make more than others. I would guess generally, the more you pay, the better quality the components & the slighter the noise.

Thanks. I suppose I'd better re-phrase my earlier comment about being prepared to pay a bit extra. £30 for the IQ ones seems a bit more than I meant. Any other ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
kevin_robson said:
Thanks. I suppose I'd better re-phrase my earlier comment about being prepared to pay a bit extra. £30 for the IQ ones seems a bit more than I meant. Any other ideas anyone?

If it is for a dim night light then arranging two 230 volt lamps in series across 230 volts gives a warm glow that is fine for a nursery. They have to be identical amps to glow equally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back