Which split-load consumer unit / 45A shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Back on 11th July, John D (amongst others) gave me some useful advice re. my new shower/cable/electrical requirements, and I have decided to renew my old Proteus CU with a 12 way split load unit (You can tell that I've since been doing some homework). My questions are these;
Will I have to get my electricity supplier to fit an isolator switch prior to renewing my CU? I don't have one at the moment
My shower (9.8KW) stipulates a 45A fuse. Does this have to be precisely 45A, or can it be greater, say 50A? (As far as I can tell, only MK products have exactly 45A MCB's available, and their 12 way unit is slightly on the large side for the space I have available). Most suppliers seem to only have 40A or 50A options.

Sponsored Links
You can either get the DNO to fit an isolator or you can have them come out and remove the service fuse and then come back when you have finished to reinstall it.

The fuse you use must be large enough for the load it is supplying and equal to, or less than the current carrying capacity of the cable fitted.

Or you could remove the fuse. If the cut-out is a modern type.

You will have to notify this work if you are in England or Wales.

Your REC will have to isolate your supply by pulling the main fuse for you to do the work safely.This could involve fitting an isolator for you before the work is carried out, so you don't have to wait on them for re-energisiation after a fuse pull.

A 50A MCB is fine for a 45A rated shower as long as the cable is rated for this under it's install conditions (length, insulation, ambient temp., grouping etc)

Sponsored Links
Thanks 'Ricicle'.
If I can use a 50A MCB that gives me much more choice of unit.
I don't suppose that you would have a rough idea of how much I'll have to pay to get an electrician to supply and fit a decent quality split-load CU in the same location as my existing one, would you? I would prefer to have some sort of idea prior to getting a couple of quotes, if at all possible.

We dont give out prices on here. In any event, the cost will depend on a number of factors including:
Type of supply
If earth bonding is in place and up to current regs
If other bonding is in place
and a number of other things

Suggest you get 2 or 3 from conpetent sparks. Try here for some in your area: www.competentperson.co.uk

Oh and let your sparky be a part of the consumer unit selection process ;)

Cheers

Taylortwocities said:
We dont give out prices on here. Try here for some in your area:

Fairy Nuff.
I'm in Scotland actually, so these don't apply. Thanks all the same.
I'm sure I'll get someone reliable, locally. (You don't stay in business for 30+ years if you're not doing a decent job, I presume).

They make it there. Lots of big electricity factories round the hilly bits.

Scottish electricity? Doesn't that make your kettle whistle with a strange accent? And the immersion takes forever to heat..... ;)

No offence intended, folks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back