ceramic tile cutting hole problem

gdf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guy

hi guys originally posted this in the tools section by mistake.......

hit a problem....trying to cut last piece around the toilet ....have done the the rest with template and tile nippers etc....but last piece needs a hole in it...
have tried drilling tiny holes unsuccesfully...also have a tiles cutter with hole cutter but for some reason cant cut right thru the tile...says cutter will cut thru 10mm tile ,tile is 9mm thick ??.....

have seen

CIRCLE TILE CUTTER AND GUARD £13 that fits to your drill are these any good./any one used one before can u use any drill with it

regards

geoff

Sponsored Links
With the tile hole cutter, don't you deeply score the circle and then carefully use a punch to remove the centre? That is what you do with some sink tap-holes.

I have one of these waiting to be used myself (as well as the electric tile cutter... can't wait!).

Is the hole cutter TC or diamond tipped ?
I personally would say that any power drill is generally toooooo fast !
If possible use a hand drill (like an electric one but has a handle to turn the drill instead of plug 'n' socket !!!). Go from enamel side, once through the enamel you can continue with less abandon !!!!

Hi Geoff
I have a circle cutter with guard as you have described and find it only useful when cutting the softer wall tiles ie: with white or cream underside. With hard floor tiles (Reddish brown backs) ,it struggles to make an impression. A good website for suitable equipment is here

Sponsored Links
Jig saw blades are available for cutting tiles as long as the hole is not to small. I have found them OK if you lie tile on bench hold tight and only do about a 1/4" at a time to stop the chatter. Alternatively for a small hole drill centre of hole, then saw outwards into segments. score between segments then break them off. An omnisaw is the best bet if it will stand the cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back