Hiding Plasma TV cables...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Please could someone advise me.
i'm installing a Plasma tv on a chimney breast. Is there anything wrong with me running a couple of plastic conduits from behind the tv, into the chimney space and then out of the chimney space around the corner somewhere out of sight?
Do I have to keep the power cable separate from the other cables?
The chimney is not in use.

Sponsored Links
If chimney is not in use, nor likely to ever be, then what you propose is fine. Power and signal separation is highly recommended, if not crucial in my opinion.

CallEdsFirst said:
If chimney is not in use, nor likely to ever be, then what you propose is fine. Power and signal separation is highly recommended, if not crucial in my opinion.
Though not essential - it will work, and only the best eyes will see any difference whatsoever.

Crafty said:
CallEdsFirst said:
Though not essential - it will work, and only the best eyes will see any difference whatsoever.

A valid point, but as signals get more complex (HD over HDMI) etc, and more digital, then interference becomes more of an issue. Its a complicated list of advantages and disadvantages of digital vs interference etc, but essentially, segregation does more good than harm.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. What sort of distance do they need to be apart from each other? Is there any minimum distance?

We are not talking miles here! A few inches will do you a favour, 6 if its not inconvenient! If you are really worried, you can go the screened containment route!

Crafty said:
CallEdsFirst said:

It is essential, band 1 and band 2 cables should not be run together unless every cable is insulated for the highest voltage present, 240v in this case.

I'm also having some trouble finding flexible piping or conduit big enough to fit the scart leads down without having to buy a long reel of it, considering I only need about five feet. I know I have the option of removing the scart plug and resoldering but I'm a bit concerned about it affecting the quality.

All ideas welcome... :confused:

IDEA: :idea:

Don't use scart! Its rubbish! What sources are you feeding your (probably expensive and deserving of better signal) plasma tv?

Have considered using waste pipes as the conduit as they are wide enough???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I haven't got the tv yet. Do I need scart leads for a DVD player for example, is there an alternative?

CallEdsFirst said:
GJK862 said:
Have considered using waste pipes as the conduit as they are wide enough???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

That's a lot of brick to take out of a chimney!

I agree, I must admit I wasn't looking forward to doing it but couldn't see any other way. I don't want to go down the false wall route either.

Loads of alternatives, and I don't wanna be turning this into an AV forum, but:

1. LCD better than plasma (IMHO, let's not start a war people) at nearly all sizes

2. DVD with scart output no good, needs component or HDMI if possible, which would make it an upscaling DVD which makes your old films a bit HD!

3. How long will you live here? Long term proposition or fixer upper?

Basically, when you pick a screen, go for as many HDMI inputs as possible, tiny lead, might even fit through 20mm conduit, avoid sources that only chuck out scart signals and consider the damage that will need to be repaired if you ever move the tv!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back