Wyndex RCD board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had trouble connecting the fat cabling for my power shower to my 'screw grip' type distribution board.
do I simply have to hook it round the screw and tighten, or is there a way of making a better connection, possibly via an adapter?

thanks

Sponsored Links
you could use a crimp ring

seroiusly however what is the rating fdo the main isolator and/or rcd in that board

could the crimp ring carry the load?
I forget the diameter of the cable, but its fat, maybe 10mm2.

the shower is a newteam 8000, which draws more juice than my transit on a cold morning

I had it wrapped round the screw, and tightened as best I could, but then it overheated, and burnt, and blew the trip. (bummer)

I had a eureka moment, and thought there might be a brass spade that would fit into the ten year old Wylex RCD.

any ideas?

Gray

Sponsored Links
1) You don't connect to the RCD, you connect to one of the MCBs, so the question still stands - "what is the rating of the main isolator and/or rcd in that board".

2)
the rcd is rated at 30amp, so it can power the shower!
I'll assume that you don't actually mean that the main isolator and/or RCD is rated at 30A, and that you have either seen a figure of 30mA on the RCD, or 30A on the MCB. 30A is NOT enough for an 8kW shower!

3) I find it hard to believe that if the MCB is rated appropriately that it won't be designed to accept the cable that you need to carry the current it's rated at.

Ban

He might be connecting to an rcd that is downstream of the CU, ie CU.....SHOWER RCD............SHOWER.

Some older Wylex MCB boards had a very poor system for connecting cables, which was really fiddly even for 1.00mm2, let alone 10!!

The terminal comprises a fixing screw behind which is a plate of metal. The idea is that you trap the conductor behind the metal plate and tighten up the screw, but as the conductor has to go either to the left or right of the screw, even pressure on the conductor is impossible.

Yo - sorry - didn't think about a standalone RCD :oops: :oops: :oops:

I can visualise the type of terminal you describe - sounds pretty ugly. Almost unfit for purpose. Guess with 10mm you could try putting strands each side of the screw, as long as they were all trapped.

Still awkward. You end up with strands of cablesplaying sideways as you tighten the screw......YUK!

As an engineer, I would suggest space the unused side of the pressure plate with a plate width cutoff of the cable in use, a spacer !!
If you get my drift, this would equalize the plate load each side of the screw axis.
No good, if possibility of this 'spacer' falling into the 'works' on loosening the screw.

What do you think ?

P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back