Building a backless wardrobe in front of a fire door

JPJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm moving into a new residential duplex flat, and the upper floor has a fire door in one of the rooms.
I would like to maximise use of the space in that room, and have plans to build a wardrobe in front of the fire door with space only for hanging clothes. The wardrobe will have floor to ceiling doors installed.
It is my intention to leave the back of the wardrobe open, so that it provides access to the fire door (which opens outward into the stairwell) - think Narnia.

Therefore, in event of an emergency, the hanging clothes can be pushed out of the way or easily pulled out and put to the side, leaving clear access to the fire door and hence the escape route.

Does anyone have an opinion as to if this sounds reasonable, and also know if it is within regulations?

Sponsored Links
imagine the scenario
thick black acrid smoke on you hand and knees your last few breaths ----- :oops: :oops:

the regulations say something like clear unimpeded but may be different in your case

There's no doubt whatsoever that it infringes the Regs, contravenes the terms of the leasehold and your own insurance.

Trouble is people do think it will never happen to them and in a couple of years when the rail is jammed full of clothes and there's a load of old shoe boxes stacked up against the door when as mentioned you are gasping your last few breaths, you heart is pounding at 200bpm and your brain is half asleep because your smoke alarm has just shocked you awake (its pitch black too btw) if you think it will be no problem then go for it.

It's the worst suggestion I've heard all year.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back