Desperate for advice on mould growth on MDF!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Two years ago we had built in wardrobes made from MDF. What a mistake that was. I've since been contastantly wiping off the mould inside and washing my clothes which both smell musty and have mould growing on some of them. I've got to the point where I want to rip the things out but can't afford to replace them.

I can't find any advice online on how to tecify the problem.

The majority of the wardrobe is built along an internal wall we share with a neighbour. One short end of the wardrobe is along an outside wall.

As it stands the wardobe doesn't have any ventilation bar a cut out handle on the door (convenient for moth access).

If I add vents to the wardrobes and paint them (they're currently unpainted/treated) will that be the end of my mould issues?

If so where should I put the vents? And also should I use a specific paint/undercoat?

I would really really appreciate any help as this is driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You need to vent the wardrobe and the room, the MDF isn't the problem but the moisture in the air is.

I suspect you also dry clothes in that room.

Thanks for your replies!

I don't dry clothes in there, I'm guilty of using my drier for virtually everything.

The room doesn't have a vent, I do however either have the windows open or almost closed where they lock in but still allow air through of that makes sense.

Would it be worth me putting an external vent in the room?

Sponsored Links
Unless you have a heat reclaiming air system all rooms ideally have vents.

Would a heat reclaimer be along the lines of a drimaster? I've just discovered them today and need to do some more research but they seem to get good reviews. I'll definitely try putting a vent in first though! Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back