Fairline shelving + kitchen worktops = workbench?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

After some general advice for a cheap workbench idea for my in laws shed.

We have x2 of these currently making 4 x 90cm high 2 x tiered shelves/workbenches - http://store.makro.co.uk/p-11248-fairline-heavy-duty-shelving-175kg.aspx

My in laws would like a larger surface area to work on (nothing heavy just potting & planting) so my idea is to buy 2 x 2m worktops http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/213452/?source=123_75 to create a larger work top surface.

From here on in I'm not really sure how best to attach & secure the worktop to the shelves and shed walls. The worktop is 60mm deep & the shelves are 45mm so there will be a 15 mm overhang.

I've got various tools but very little know how in this area so any hints or tips would be very much appreciated.

Can I sit the worktops on top of shelving units & simply screw into the worktops from outside the shed?

Worktop joints?

A batten screwed between the wall & shelving untis and the worktops screws/attached to that?

Cheers
[/url]

Sponsored Links
Baton on wall and screw shelving to that, baton around top of shelf uprights and screw up into base of worktop, worktop jointing strip to connect them at right angles.?

Hi & many thanks for the reply

That all makes sense (I think) - I essentially create an edge around the wall (thats level with the top shelves) for the worktop to sit on as well as the shelves?

Is there a reccomended baton width/size? (bearing in mind that the shelves aren't the sturdiest of beasts by themselves & there'll be a 15cm overhang at the front)

Cheers

50mm square should do for light use .
In damp conditions of a shed a sheet of ply would last longer and be cheaper than kitchen worktop.

Sponsored Links
i would go for 50 to 75 overhang in case you/they want to load it up a bit more in future

as said batons to the back space the unit off the wall to place the support at the front correctly or chop off the worktop back

Cheers for the tips - exactly the type of knowledge I was after.

I'll look into the ply option but the in law quite likes the idea of a more waterproof & nicely finished surface.

Wickes sell 69x69x2.4m for £10 so I reckon x2 will do the job

Many thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back