Replacing external wooden door panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the outside solid wood doors has been weathered and the part of the wood on the panel is coming off. However, the wood underneath seems to be in good condition.

Do I need to replace the panel and if so, is there any guide anywhere?

Alternately, I've thought about taking the top layer off and painting the layer underneath as that seems to be in good condition. Is that an acceptable approach?

View media item 79234
View media item 79235
View media item 79236
Thanks

LF

Sponsored Links
if it is coming off in layers then it is plywood and is falling apart.

It looks like the ply might have been added after the door was made. If you can see how to take it out you could fit a new piece of ply. WBP is what you need, it is water resistant but needs painting. Some D
IY sheds will cut to size. You probably need the same thickness as before. 18mm might do.

If this is an external door it could easily be kicked in.

That definitely looks like an add-on panel - not part of the original door as the moulding round the edge of the panel partly covers the handle plate.

What does the inside look like - has it been done to match?

You might find more damage when you remove that outer panel, but proceed as above and you should be ok. Just prise off the moulding and the panel will probably fall off anyway.

Sponsored Links
Different but basically the same treatment - i.e. a panel over the original, just not finished with a moulding. My guess is that the actual door panel underneath all that is already well damaged, hence the overboarding, or alternatively it may be a glazed panel which someone wanted to cover and/or make safer so that kids didn't run in to it.

Either way, yes, just work around the edge with a chisel. Try not to make too many dents in the door itself - I suspect the wood may not be particularly sound judging from the paint (or lack of it) we can see in the pics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back