Where to find solid wood DIY fitted wardrobe doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We don't have a lot of storage space in our bedroom and I would like to use fitted wardrobes to maximise space. The look of our house is very vintage style however, and I can only find either very expensive custom made bespoke fitted wardrobe companies, or horrible MFC laminate Ikea type wardrobes for DIY fitting. We're experienced DIY-ers and don't want to spend money on having someone else do the works, so hoping to find a compromise.

The look we're after is probably going to be white painted wood in a vintage/shaker style. We have a regular sized space of 100cm for the wardrobes so we could easily use cheap ikea carcasses (don't care too much what they look like on the inside) to get the benefits of all the internal fittings which would make the job very easy and cheap. But I do want solid wood doors and trims. I was thinking unfinished pine doors to paint myself (or, even already finished but still solid wood). A full pre-cut solid wood wardrobe for DIY fitting would be even better, as long as this doesn't up the costs too much. We dont want to make the doors ourselves as we have a million other jobs to do and little time, so ready made definitely better.

So does anyone have any ideas for suppliers? Has anyone else done this? I'm really surprised its not easy to find as I would have thought there would be a substantial demand for a more natural product for DIY- but I've been searching and searching to no avail.

Sponsored Links
Ive done exactly this mate, but see im many years too late. if anyone else is thinking of going this way, then get in touch.

Kev

Seems to me that you need to find a manufacturing joinery shop

Sponsored Links
Sure,

Built in wardrobes, chipboard, solid doors. About 6 years ago noticed cos the wardrobes where against a north wall we had damp problem. I wanted some nice louvre doors to improve the ventilation. No chance, could find any to fit anywhere, they where all far to short.

So I bought some real wood doors off the net that where nice but way undersize and with the biscuit jointer attached lengths to the side and top and bottom. Painted them in some nice trendy paint. Used a high quality primer on the cabs and did the same.. Cut new hinge holes and lovely job. Never would have guessed they where horrid melamine things. The extra timber gave them a more simple shaker look ,super trendy (the wife says!).

To further the story last month we moved bedrooms and we took the doors with us. Bought the ikea cabs with all the modular inserts, and refitted my door. Did the same boxed the cabs into the wall and paint trendy grey again.

Fantastic. Look a million dollars.

Kev

I know it's a bit of a trip but I've a built in wardrobe going free if you collect. Wood, vintage looking, about 3m in width. 6 main doors and drawer units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back