Loft conversion - Steel RSJ's for support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need 2 large 18ft RSJ's for my loft conversion, we are looking at possible ways to get the steels into the loft.

1. lift them ourselves, through several holes in the house. (risky and hard work!)

2. get them craned in, but can be a little expensive and tricky to manoeuvre in the Loft

3. I have been reading about ordering the steels in either 2 sections or more, and bolt them together. Is this possible? does this still pass the building regulations?

Would appreciate anyone's input.

Thanks Shaun

Sponsored Links
Hi thanks for your reply. Number 3 does sound the best to me, when I spoke to my architect who did our drWings, he also sorted our structural
Engineer. He said to me that the steel
Company can supply me te splice details is this correct? Thanks

Yes its a pretty standard detail though BC may insist on calcs if your supplier does not / cannot provide them.

Sponsored Links
I'm having a hip to gable design done at the moment. Structural engineers will be giving me designs for 2 steels which will run from the party wall to the external wall and they will be in 3 sections. The design will show all the pad requirements plus installation requirements for spanning joists etc as well as strengthening members for the removal of the hip.

It's hopefully a case of some strong mates to help me lift the 3.5m sections into place without dropping them into the rooms below :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back