My little project - UPDATED WITH PICS!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have a bit of a renovation project on my hands that I thought I would share.

The background is my wife and I bought a house in a place called Cyprus Avenue in Belfast (yep the one that Van Morrison sang about). The house dates back to 1880 and it feels like quite a lot of things have not really changed since then. The last major works (the addition of the garage) took place in 1960 and I think it is fair to say that virtually no modifications or maintenance has taken place since then.

Whilst it was always very clear there was a lot of work required to be done to the house the structure is reasonably sound and it has huge potential to be a fantastic family home. The list below is the works that we have undertaken so far or are in the process of doing (by we I mean me and my builder, well my builder really!!!):

- New roof
- Full re-wire
- New gas boiler install and all new rads throughout the house.
- Complete re-plumb
- Reconfiguration of 1st floor return including installation of an ensuite and new entrance and configuration of the guest bedroom.
- New configuration and extension of the main bathroom.
- New bathroom suites in the main bathroom and ensuite.
- Removal of the shower/bathroom downstairs
- Installation of a new downstairs bathroom in the existing cloakroom
- Reconfiguration of the exisiting morning room, downstairs bathroom and kitchen to create a large open plan kitchen/dining area.
- Reconditioning and decoration of existing sash windows.
- Installation of a new sash window in the kitchen
- Major damp works including treatment for penetrating and rising damp.
- Treatment for beetle infestation and wood worm.
- Treatment of all timbers to tackle dry rot.
- Digging out a 2ft depth of the solid floor in the ground floor return to remove the damp, seal, screed and latex a new floor.
- Replaster in most rooms of the house.
- New tall skirting boards throughout the downstairs rooms.
- New ceilings in at least 4 rooms of the house.
- Removal of 4 fireplaces in 4 of the bedrooms.
- Reconditioning and fixing of existing cornicing as a result of works.
- Reconditioning of the traditional porch including re-glaze & replacement of rotten timbers.
- New guttering.
- Taking the front of the house back to brick at 1st floor level to deal with water ingress above the window bays and replacement of all rotten window lintels.
- Replacement of top of sash boxes due to dry rot.
- Full lime mortar repointing.

I hope before Christmas to complete the following:

- Complete the kitchen area.
- Install a new handmade kitchen.
- Fit out the pantry off the kitchen.
- Change the back door and side door of the property.
- Install a new engineered oak floor in the kitchen and a solid wood floor in the hallway.
- Decorate the windows and all external woodwork.

Longer term I plan to do the following:

- Install a roof terrace over the garage.
- Landscape the garden and driveway area.
- Change the boundry wall and the gates.

That pretty much covers it!!!!

Have to say my head is a bit frazzled trying to make all the decisions needed, keep on top of the finishes and make sure the detailing is good. Whilst I knew it was going to take a hell of a lot of time I have probably somewhat underestimated the sheer time and effort it is taking me to ensure that everything is perfect.

//www.diynot.com/network/user_album_update.php?album_id=9470

Sponsored Links
thats a big old lump there simon, but very soon its gonna look very tidy.you must feel its never ending

Sponsored Links
Hi Terence yep it is indeed a big old lump. Starting to lose the will at this stage as it does feel like it is dragging on now. It is amazing how quickly builders can pull things down but how slow it can be to piece it all together again. It is amazing how close you get to these things, I feel like I know every single dimension - I see everything from the good to the bad - so there can be very dark moments!

Just at that stage now of dragging the building work over the line and trying to get that bit of detail right. Fair bit to do yet before we move in, mostly decorating and joinery work. The plan is still to be in by start of Dec but the next month will determine if that is in fact possible so fingers crossed. I will continue to update with new pictures of rooms and areas as they get finished off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back