Turned my heat-only boiler into a combi!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I spent yesterday on a project inspired by a noisy shower pump and a high-pressure-shower loving wife.

Basically I've ditched the pump and fed the shower mixer at mains pressure by adding a (modified) 3-port valve, plate heat exchanger and flow switch.

I have a WB 24 RI boiler (sealed system) pictured here:

In the next picture you can see the plate heat exchanger, diverter and flow switch:

And here's the existing motorised valve and bypass (S-plan):

The diverter valve is a standard Honeywell mid-position valve which I had spare, but I modified it to make it into a diverter valve. This involved breaking a couple of tracks on the circuit board, and soldering in a new link:

attachment.php

1) Break white from SW1 NC
2) break D1 from SW2 NC
3) link SW1 Com to SW1 NO

This winds the valve to position A when Grey is energised. When the valve is fully wound, SW2 closes, so I now connect White to permanent live and Orange to switched-live to fire the boiler as you would with an S-plan.

The shower works really well - significantly higher pressure and flow than the pump (which was a Salamander 1.7 bar) and much quieter of course. Also won't run out of hot water by having long showers!)

The existing cylinder still provides hot water to the bath, basin and kitchen.

I will lag the rest of the pipework before it gets frosty!

Sponsored Links
Nice! Those German heat exchangers off eBay are really good - I've used a few to fit new boilers to old systems.
That's a really nice job you've done.

Thanks toasty! I was really pleased with the eBay German HEX - only £40 and delivered with stereotypical German efficiency!

I do think I need to restrict the flow slightly though: when the mixer is fully open and the shower head on it's fastest flow, the boiler can't quite keep up. I'll try turning the isolating valve off slightly.
[Or a couple of pennies with holes drilled through the centre inserted in the mixer valve connections would do the trick.]

probably worth putting up a complete wiring diagram for the benefit of someone looking at this in a years time. Your flow switch is connected to your grey? Personally, I'd have used full bore isolators to your phe rather than gates.

You can buy 15mm flow restrictors for about £4. look on bes.ltd

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input hteng - much appreciated :)

Point well taken about the gates, but I may wait until the next drain-down opportunity before replacing those... unless I feel brave and snatch them one at a time....

Do you think it would make that much difference to to the flow through the HEX?

Already have an order saved at BES for the flow restrictor valve & cartridge - just waiting to bump it over £40 for free delivery... glad I was thinking along the right lines.

Yes flow switch on the grey cable.
Wiring diagram also a good idea, as well as a sticker on the 3-port warning that it's been doctored.

Next job should be to obtain a thermostatic mixer valve and another pump and then run the whole hot water system from this....

Why?

Because then you could repurpose the hot water cylinder as a thermal store, meaning that you should be able to sustain a full bore shower, as well as benefiting from less boiler cycling with central heating.

I do have a spare pump and have had thoughts about repurposing the cylinder as a thermal store. But it's a project for another year.
I've been reading the sagas on thermal stores/heat banks on the plumbing forum and think that done properly they could be very good.

However I do think at the moment it's a lot of faff for not much benefit - diminishing returns and all that. And there's the added benefit of no moving parts / nothing-to-go-wrong with a standard vented set up... I'll keep you posted though!

Now fitted an isolating/restrictor valve with an 8 L/min restrictor in the hot feed to the shower. Works a treat!

Nice,
Gonna go for a similar system in my next house.
No cylinder, just a nice sized boiler (in fact probably two small ones) and a dirty great big heat store and localised heat exchangers for each bathroom. Obviously with well lagged flow and returns.

It's the best way,
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back