Do you think this should have an expansion joint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i'd be interested to see if anyone would expect to see an expansion joint here. Or maybe the windows would do a job? Ill attach a sketch. The red lines indicate internal walls and the two green capital i's are steels.
Cheers

Attachments

• side elevation.pdf
    115.7 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
Have you employed a structural engineer?
Yes and he hasnt mentioned a slip joint but the architect made mistakes and the engineer had to re-do quite a bit. So im wondering if this might have been forgotten.

It can be complex to determine wall expansion on domestic properties, so a combination of the block and brick manufacturer's recommendations plus a structural engineer's calculation can determine what is needed and where.

Windows (ie the reveals) can not be used to perform this function, and any movement joints should normally be within adjacent panels.

Here is a snip from the NHBC guide, but additional design measures such as bed reinforcement may be appropriate.

1715328642540.png

Sponsored Links
It can be complex to determine wall expansion on domestic properties, so a combination of the block and brick manufacturer's recommendations plus a structural engineer's calculation can determine what is needed and where.

Windows (ie the reveals) can not be used to perform this function, and any movement joints should normally be within adjacent panels.

Here is a snip from the NHBC guide, but additional design measures such as bed reinforcement may be appropriate.

View attachment 342715
Hmmm. Think I'll have to email the S/E. This flank is a lot longer than the chart. I've been trying not to bother him too much but I might have to. Thanks

Thought I'd do an update incase anyone's interested.
The engineer has come back to me and recommended a movement joint about the middle of the building. And one at the front and back where the porch type bits jut out. So three joints rather than none. All only on the outside skin by the looks of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back