£3,000 to repair pinhole leaks in lead flashing?

He charges me £250 for a single lift at first floor window height on a terraced house.
I bought a 3 storey Alu tower at the start of my renovation, for 700 quid; been so handy for so much stuff and is a doddle to erect and dismantle.
If your customers are happy to pay 250 for scaffolding perhaps getting your own scaff would be worthwhile to you?

Sponsored Links
I bought a 3 storey Alu tower at the start of my renovation, for 700 quid; been so handy for so much stuff and is a doddle to erect and dismantle.
If your customers are happy to pay 250 for scaffolding perhaps getting your own scaff would be worthwhile to you?

I see your logic but I would need an open bed lorry, storage space and more importantly, I would need to learn how to drive.

I could work off ladders but it would be a PITA and much, much slower (and less safe). I am a decorator. When working on scaffolding I use a tarp to cover my dust extractor, hand tools and paints over night. It saves me an hour a day. My sanders, I bring them down each evening at £550+ per sander, I cannot afford to replace them at short notice if they got stolen. I have 4 different dust extractors, if one gets stolen it isn't a major inconvenience.

If I am painting the front of victorian house with timber sliding sash, with the scaffolding (charged to the customer) I will probably charge about £2500. If I had to do it off a ladder, I would probably need to charge about £3500, and the quality of finish would not be as good.

You don't drive? Impressive (and wondering how you get ladders to a job)

Wouldn't need a flat bed for this particular tower scaff; it'd fit on a roof rack..

You don't drive? Impressive (and wondering how you get ladders to a job)

Wouldn't need a flat bed for this particular tower scaff; it'd fit on a roof rack..

Fair comment.

Over the years I have purchased (multifunction) step ladders that fold down and will fit in the boot of a cab. You can reach first floor window sills with those.

These days I seldom spend less than a month or three at any customer's house. £30 to drop off your tools is an insignificant cost relative to the total bill.

I live in (very) west London. Most of my exterior work is via Colin the pointer, he has the scaffolding up, I follow along once he acid washes the bricks and repoints them.

Admittedly.. from time to time he will have the scaffolding erected as per his needs, and then I notice that I can not open side hung casement sashes fully because the vertical poles are in the way. I end up needing to use a double 12 ladder to reach those parts after the scaffolding is removed but he always has a double 12 ladder on site.

I seldom work in central London, but if you had an older van, or car, you would be looking at £30+ just in charges (fees) to get to site and then £60+ for parking each day

I turn up. Do an 8 hour day and spend about a tenner to use public transport. It works for me... most of the time.

Sponsored Links
Fair comment.

Over the years I have purchased (multifunction) step ladders that fold down and will fit in the boot of a cab. You can reach first floor window sills with those.

These days I seldom spend less than a month or three at any customer's house. £30 to drop off your tools is an insignificant cost relative to the total bill.

I live in (very) west London. Most of my exterior work is via Colin the pointer, he has the scaffolding up, I follow along once he acid washes the bricks and repoints them.

Admittedly.. from time to time he will have the scaffolding erected as per his needs, and then I notice that I can not open side hung casement sashes fully because the vertical poles are in the way. I end up needing to use a double 12 ladder to reach those parts after the scaffolding is removed but he always has a double 12 ladder on site.

I seldom work in central London, but if you had an older van, or car, you would be looking at £30+ just in charges (fees) to get to site and then £60+ for parking each day

I turn up. Do an 8 hour day and spend about a tenner to use public transport. It works for me... most of the time.
You should get a cargo bike! Or even just an electric bike with panniers/trailer

You should get a cargo bike! Or even just an electric bike with panniers/trailer

Yeah... the guy with the electric bike carrying a double extension ladder, if nothing else, I would become a TikTok sensation for 5 minutes.

and its being extended , you don't need to work central to be in ulez

and its being extended , you don't need to work central to be in ulez

Good call, AFAIK it is currently the north and south circular. Areas up to 6 or 7 miles from the centre of London. I think that the ULEZ for HGVs extends much further out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back