02 Mondeo tappet noise??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an 02 2l petrol mondeo, last week i checked the oil as there was a tappetty noise from the engine, as there was little oil in there i topped it back up with 5w 30 oil. This has not stopped the noise. The noise will increase with the revs but hardly notice it when idle.
Any ideas as to what the problem is????

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
sounds as if it could be a tappet problem, if you get a screwdriver and put it on the rocker cover and then stick your ear on the top of the handle of the screwdriver you`ll be able to hear where the noise is coming from, much like using it as a stethoscope, i belive they are hydralic tappets on the mondeo, they fill up with oil to produce the correct gap between the camshaft and the tappet, and sometimes the seals leek and they no longer stay filled with oil, a biggish job for someone with little experience, major job for someone with none.......

first thing i'd do is a oil flush (can chuck a litre of your cheapest ATF fluid in it for 25 miles or so, or go for an expensive wyns oil flush) and change the oil and filter.
Might just be lucky and have some crud built up where it was low on oil and it's starving the hydraulic tappets of oil

Sponsored Links
How long had the car been running with low oil??? Your cam may have suffered from this, if so what could have happened is the cam has become worn and this removes the hardening from the lobes, once this has happened continual progressive wear will take over and the noise will get worse and the cam will need replacing. The noise is generated by the soft lobes on the cam. Or, there is other wear though the valve system that could be adjusted out by resetting the tappet clearances buy changing the shims. To check the cam lobes you will need to remove the cam cover and mic up each lobe across the peaks and check against the specifications of the cam to see if they are within spec, if it is the case of other wear you will have to check the valve clearances using feeler guages and adjust to suit by re shimming.

Back