1/2" barrel joints

Perhaps you should check the gas regs as well, there's an interesting bit about minimum cover.

The pipe will also need protecting, Denso tape or similar after testing.

Is the 1/2" just serving the cooker.

I didn't think you could touch a party wall without special permissions.

Sponsored Links
Your welcome to ask....and other stuff
It wasn't a trick question. If Roy is doing it then let him get on with it, if you are doing it yourself I just wonder why you are asking how to do it. Nothing more than that.

Can you please point me to the gas regs coverage part, that I can't find or I'm looking in the wrong place, I've seen copper gas pipes chased into walls flush with the blockwork then plastered over, my situation is more thought out and a lot safer than that scenario,If I can't meet requirements then I'll have to surface mount lots of extra pipework to get over it

Pipe will be protected with denso tape once testing is complete I may even fit a flat metal plate flush onto the wall, just to stop drilling through from my own side,It won't be forming a cavity, I know thje p[ipe is there but a future owner might not

Only supplying one 500mm 4 hob cooker, the amount of old bent lead mains that will come out should more than make up for any new pipe requirements, the amount of joins in that old lead pipe is quite substantial so there will be a significant distance of dead pipe being removed, I expect there might even be old gas light lengths hidden up under the floor boards as well.

Regarding party wall regs, I served noticed to my neighbours well before I started any work,I have no problems with the neighbours, it actually states works you don't need to tell them about, being fitting of new electrical sockets ,cable chasings ,replastering of the wall , refitting of kitchen units, I explained what I was doing and basically that's all I've done, structurally the wall will be stronger once finished even after the chasing as I'll be repointing any weak areas with new sand/cement joints, it will replace old lime joints that basically don't hold a thing together at the moment anyway,To have chased in a new 30 amp cooker supply would not be much different to my gas pipe chasing and that's not breaking building regs in the depths I have chosen, the main party wall no no's are when yoiu go right through with structural beams etc when removing walls or when cutting in new dpc's that go right through the walls

Denso13, I didn't take it as a trick question, nor did I ask anywhere how to do it, each plumber could come round and use their own favourite method, all the tape ,paste ,jet blue and Loctite 55 situations are perfectly acceptable , I asked what was the "Best " method for a permanent situation that suited my conditions best of all

Sponsored Links
I'll have a word with Steve who is employed to design systems for all there work and is right up on all the Regs and interpretations of them, the only possible part that it could have any issues with is part (1) , but that about as double dutch and ambiguous as it can be, take suitable precautions incase of wall movement, or floor ,the pipe will be lagged/corrosion protected, clipped inside the chase to stop slippage , the only way that pipe could get damaged was if the whole house blew up, it's toothed in either end on a 2.5m run of wall, it's concreted in at the bottom and it's braced at the top by a wall plate and all the joists that sit on it, I'm sorry but whether the pipe was chased in or surface mounted, if the wall came down, which would also mean both my house and the neighbours house would have to totally go down to damage that bit of wall, and it would still come apart and leak even if it was surface mounted.

If you take a look here about domestic gas installation

http://www.ukcopperboard.co.uk/lite...on-Tips/Domestic-gas-installation-testing.pdf

Top right of the first picture shows a pipe chased in if there is enough room, i'e T divided by 3 where T is the thickness of the wall, I haven't broken that reg and it's there in picture form

I've just edited this answer which I thought was demeaning to Steve and Roy. If you are competent to do what you propose then go for it, if not then leave it to others. Don't ask for advice then argue about it because it's not what you thought it would be.

There a little thing in the book that says Horizontal runs should be avoided.

I'm quite certain if you explain the situation to the building control person they will quote the party wall act

Thought minimum depth to achieve proper coverage was only for pipes chased into floors never seen it mentioned for walls

There a little thing in the book that says Horizontal runs should be avoided.

I'm quite certain if you explain the situation to the building control person they will quote the party wall act

100% agree, you certainly couldn't do this in Scotland!!!

There are no horizontal runs being used, one vertical run only. If it's not permissible, then it will have to be surface mounted to one side of the room, then to get to the oven space it would have to be surface mounted horizontally below worktop level , you can't have a surface mounted gas pipe behind the cooker itself. Was not able to catch Steve today,came and went because the plumber was sent on an emergency job so he didn't stop and I didn't even know he had been but did I talk to him on the phone, but he suggested not to do it that way, basically any gas pipes buried in walls are considered as "not good practice" and should be avoided, even though there's thousands of older homes around the country that have their gas pipes buried in the walls, one of my mums old homes had the lead pipes buried in the walls just below the surface, the house I was working in last week had it's gas supply buried in the wall in plastic coated copper, easily visible once the skirting board was removed and not even deeply chased in.

Not just old houses just about every new build will have gas pipes in the walls

I wasn't particularly concerned about you sticking the pipe in the wall.

But you seriously need to get the party wall act addressed, as you can end up with some big bills otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back