Adding a second thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first, sorry for the long post but i just want to give all the details for an overall sense of whats going on.

I live in a smallish bungalow which has recently been rennovated and a whole new heating sytem installed from scratch. Suspended floors are insulated as is roofspace and cavity walls.

Its a straight forward small 9 rad system running off a worcester gas combi boiler.

It all heats up very quickly and has been very economical to run and i'm very happy with it.

We live mainly in a large open plan room at the rear of the house and at the time we decided with help of the plumber and a consequence of being in that room 95% of the time we would put the thermostat in here.

Now to the problem. The bedroom is at the opposite end of the building and was the old living room. This means it is very large and has 2 very large windows which are double glazed upvc.

Therefore the heatloss from this room is much higher than the open plan room, meaning during very wintery nights it gets really cold in this room.

How do i best deal with this? At the minute i have to programme the heating to come on for bursts during the night, but the open plan room heats up really fast and it knocks the boiler off. So then i set the programme for bursts and turn off all the radiators apart from the bedroom one and it comes on in bursts during the night giving spikes of very warm temperature which are not that pleasent.

Or the most comfortable thing is to set it to a pleasent temperature on the trv and turn off all rads apart from the bedroom, but then the boiler is just burning constantly all night.

So basically my question is what is the most economical way to run this?

1. Constantly on boiler with trv in bedroom set to pleasent and all other rads off

2. Bursts of heat and live with the spikes and troughs

3. other

Is it possible to add a second thermostat to the bedroom so that it has the ability to switch the boiler off and keep the room at a pleasent controlled temperature?

Lastly this is only for maybe 20-30 nights a year and so the cost of simply leaving the boiler running for these nights needs to be weighed against the cost of a solution.

Sorry for the ramble.

Thanks a lot if you made it this far.

Sponsored Links
you should look into honeywell evohome, that would be the best way to achieve
what you want without having to do any pipework alterations.

otherwise your looking at having to add 2 zone valves one for the rest of the house and one for the bedroom (assuming the pipe layout allows this without alterations) as well as a wirleess stat .

evohome will zone your radiators without having to do any pipework.

Sponsored Links
I have a Worcester bsch fr110 stat so maybe if I just changed it for a wireless one we could take that to bed with us?

Never thought about that till now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back