Thermo valves and main thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting thermostatic valves to my rads. I'm using the downstairs hall rad as the one without a trv, I might change this to a bathroom one but we'll see.
My confusion comes from where to get the boiler thermostat moved to, its currently in the unheated porch so useless, house bought this way!
If all main rooms have trv rads then where do you put the room stat?
My folks have their stat in living room but heating is off when log burner is on so at night bedrooms are cold, I want to avoid something similar.
In my head I'm thinking a room stat is basically pointless but sure theres an obvious method of doing central heating.
My boiler is a combi so whats a good choice for a digital controller for heating? The manual shows it just needs to be on/off with 2 wires.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Room stats were usually fitted in hallway's but nowaday's alot of people have them in living room's which is where they want to have the more comfortable temperature but it is no good in there if you have another heat source like a fire in the same room. Wherever you choose to put it that room should be the one without the TRV.

The porch sounds like a very strange place to have a room stat.

It needs to be fitted somewhere where it won't be affected by other heat sources, eg. fires or sunlight - hall or living room is best. You can either remove the TRVS in that room or remember to leave them on max.

As for stat recommendations, do you want wired or wireless? Do you just want a stat, or a programmable stat to control ch timings as well as temp?

Yes the porch is a very strange place to have a room stat especially as there is no heating in there, the boiler is in the downstairs loo so the stat has been fitted close to it. There when I bought place.
I'm looking for full programming, different times for different days. Can you get ones that let you set different temps also, didn't know that, fancy kit now-days? That would be nice if not too pricey.
Looking through screwfix book, some say fits british gas standard. What is this and any others do they just screw to the wall or fit to a metal box like light switch?
Not too fussed about wireless, my folks were advised not to have one when their thermostat was changed, bloke says they only last few years? Fully wired in suits me fine.

Sponsored Links
Fitting thermostatic valves to my rads. I'm using the downstairs hall rad as the one without a trv, I might change this to a bathroom one but we'll see.
The room stat must be fitted in an area where the radiator does not have a TRV; this is to prevent them conflicting. As the hall does not have a TRV, this is the logical place to fit the room stat. Putting it in a room with a second heating source, e.g an open fire, will not work.

There's no reason why the bathroom rad should also not have a TRV.

My confusion comes from where to get the boiler thermostat moved to, its currently in the unheated porch so useless, house bought this way!
You call it the 'boiler stat', but what is the temperature range it covers? If it's 10C to 30C (50F to 85C) it's a room thermostat; but if it goes up to approx 90C (190F) it is the boiler stat. My guess is that it is a room thermostat which, as it's in an unheated room, will onl turn the boiler off when the outside temperature is above 20C, i.e in the summer!

In my head I'm thinking a room stat is basically pointless
You need a room stat because a TRV cannot turn the boiler off when the room is up to temperature! So all the rooms can be up to temperature, but the boiler will continue running and consuming gas.

If you install a room stat in the hall and 'tune it' correctly it will allow all the rooms to get up to temperature, so the TRVs are operating, before the hall reaches temperature and the room stat turns the boiler off.

As for a stat which does what you require, the Honeywell CM907 is probably the best choice.

Yes it is a room stat, head down and typing without really thinking, it does switch the boiler on though!
I've read up on the stat you recommend and it does look good and seems to get good reviews so thank you for that, I'll get one.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back