1 gang 2 way circuit problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1 gang 2 way switch at top and bottom of stairs.

Recently, the top switch seems to have gone to 1 way action only. i.e. the stair lights will only turn on with the top switch is in the up position and the bottom switch turns the lights on and off. With the top switch in the down position, the bottom switch has no effect.

I've installed a new 2 way switch to the top switch - wired per the original - thinking that the switch was faulty. There is a black earth wire to the metal wall box and three red wires - Common, L1, L2 - to the switch.

Have I possibly changed the wrong switch !! as it has had no effect, or is there something wrong with another part of the circuit ???

Before this situation stabilized to the above, the stair light appeared to go on and off at will . . . The switches wouldn't work, but some time later the light would be on. If the light was left on, it would turn itself off. moving the bulb in the light might get the light to turn on. This is no longer the case.

thanks in advance . . .

Sponsored Links
as you said

evanpfreeman said:
moving the bulb in the light might get the light to turn on. This is no longer the case.

i would check the lamp / rose connections

you could always swap the switches over too, but do read my signature

Yes, as Breezer says, check connections in lampholder. Your phantom on/off switching appears to be down to an intermittent connection fault in the lampholder. But if this does not cure the switching problem, what you described about only being able to operate the light from one position sounds like there could be a problem at the switch.

Incorrect wiring or a strapper (L1 or L2 wire) loose or disconnected could cause the above effect.

It sounds to me like a loose connection on either L1 or L2 on the switch you did not change.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all !!!

I'll get to and check the lamp and other switch asap . . .

thanks again . . . I promise to be safe !!!

evan p

Thanks to all . . . I checked the bottom switch and a wire had come adrift.

All fworking fine now.

ciao

evan p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back