1 Gang plug sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a single socket in one of my rooms and basically the back box screw mounts which mount the socket front have snapped off. At the moment I have had to mount the socket front on its sideways as the back box has two other securing mounts at the top and bottom.

I was wondering if you can purchase socket fronts where the mounting screws are at the top and bottom?

Sorry if its a stupid question. I was just going to replace the back box but its so plastered in there and I think i will destory half the wall trying to get it out.

Sponsored Links
I've had the mounting lugs break too. My solution was to drill through the back box into the wall where the bolts would normally be, insert rawl plugs into the wall and then use long screws into the rawl plugs. 2 inch No 6 panhead screws should do you fine.

If you are doing that, why not just drill and tap the back of the box? (2.9mm for M3.5 btw)

Sponsored Links
RF Lighting said:
(I don't have a photo of an old style socket) :eek:

Splutter, jibber....jaw hits floor....I never thought I'd hear photoman say that...ever! :LOL:

Well, i would like to give something back top the forum after the help you lot have given me so here you go, taken from my study during my rewire last week.

socket001.jpg

socket002.jpg

For reference my house was built in 1969 and on the back of the socket it says to BS1363

Cheers

Cerys

P.S If anyone wants it they can!

Good point, should have said from the start, if anyone wants to use the photo be my guest!!

Cheers

Can we have a better focused picture of the front for the archive? :LOL: :LOL: (No pleasing some people) ;)

Glad to see the photos.

We love pictures™

Here's a challenge:

First person to post a photo of an old brown socket wins a weekend away with Mod Rupert. :confused:

RF Lighting said:
Here's a challenge:

First person to post a photo of an old brown socket wins a weekend away with Mod Rupert. :confused:

One of the old round ones (not the pins) on a wooden pattress ;)

Always happy to help!

Here ya go

socket007.jpg

And for the near miss collection. This i found in the kitchen. They had somehow managed to drill through the metal capping just clipping the cables to secure some worktop. When i got the cable out copper could be seen :eek:

socket005.jpg

Can i just say i may have re-wired my own house and that you lot don't recommend doing it yourself but after seeing the state of my install as i ripped it out, i sleep much safer at night now.

ricicle said:
I foresee someone asking if they can use the photo............

Well, seeing as you asked so nicely!!!

Thanks turkish...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back